Safe Search, with a Sustainability Focus!
Custom Search Engine >
This is our own custom search engine where every search is pre-set to be safer, and also with an emphasis on Sustainability. Try it out !
Perfect for Students: Having a focus on sustainability means you get more interesting results, and it cuts down on the unrelated or incorrect results. We are interested in how this custom search engine works for you so please contact us with your thoughts. Being safer means this search page is appropriate for kids and students too.
Tips on Search:
Searching online can be more effective if you include some of the following ideas:
- Narrow the search by putting more terms
- Use search 'Operators' such as AND (so every word must be included) and OR
- Use Quote marks, e.g. if you type "Red Car" you will get only search results with that exact phrase
- You can limit the search to a specific site; e.g. to search all of CNN, after your search words put site:CNN.com
- When the search results come back you can use the menu's to choose Images or Videos or News
- You can limit the search results to newer results, like in the last 24 hours, or the last week
- You can exclude results that contain a word, e.g. to exclude any article with 'Trump', put -Trump
- You can find more search tips and more Operators if you look online
Another effective technique is to Save a search. In Google news, at the bottom is a link for saving your search. It works really well. You can choose to have just News searched, or the whole Web. By saving searches for things that are important to you, you get notifications later when those terms appear anywhere online. For example, if you are interested in Climate Change in California, you can do a saved search for a phrase like this:
"Climate Change" California
There are many different search engines. The main ones are Google, Yahoo, and Bing. You can set the default search engine to whichever one you like - on your computer, or on your phone. We set our search engine and then delete the others. Its a good idea to simplify your browser, your computer, and your phone whenever possible.